The first of six 2026 Olympic bid open houses drew in a crowd of more than one hundred Calgarians at the Dalhousie Community Association Tuesday night.
Ward 4 councilor, Sean Chu, who is strongly opposed to a potential bid for the Olympics, also attended the event last night.
Councillor Chu said the number of attendees at the event is promising, regardless of their stance on a potential Calgary Olympic bid.
“No one’s talking about how we can tighten our belt…and stop the wastefulness.”
Chu added that he receives “hundreds, if not thousands, of emails from his ward daily, saying, “We don’t want it.”
Chu believes the city still requires more information before they can make an informed decision in next month’s non-binding plebiscite.
Chu raised concerns that the budget preview Mayor Naheed Nenshi provided earlier in the week, was focused on how the city can make more money or raise taxes, in order to balance the budget, instead of focusing on cost-cutting initiatives.
He said “No one’s talking about how we can tighten our belt…and stop the wastefulness.”
Chu said regardless of what Canada, Alberta and Calgary plan to contribute to a bid, “The money only comes from one place, that’s the poor taxpayers.”
The city is still waiting to find out what the federal government will contribute, if Calgary decides to move forward with a 2026 Calgary Olympic Bid, next month.
The city will host its next open house at the Hotel Blackfoot this evening.
- The Calgary ’88 Winter Olympic Games cost $829 million.
- BidCo says Calgary 2026 is projected to have a $5.23 billion dollar price tag, not including potential cost-overruns.
By comparison, Vancover 2010’s price tag was approximately $7.7 billion.
- 3 billion dollars, split among municipal, provincial and federal governments.
How will they split the bill?
- Alberta’s pledge -$700 million.
- Ottawa’s pledge-TBD-but capped at $1.5 billion because of its policy for hosting international sports events.
- Calgary’s pledge-the remainder.
Poll: Do you have enough information to make an informed decision on Nov. 13th? ttps://twitter.com/cm_letic/status/1052653789335846912