Calgary Police Service is urging citizens to be more diligent in locking up their homes and vehicles every night following a string of residential break-ins over the past week.
CPS sent out a news release advising residents that almost half of break-ins are preventable. In approximately 44-percent of break and enter cases the perpetrators were able to enter to enter the home through an unlocked door or window or by stealing a garage opener from a parked vehicle.
With a residential break-in happening every 2-and-a-half hours CPS is encouraging Calgarians to implement a 9 PM nighttime routine.
The nighttime checklist includes:
- Removing garage openers and valuables from vehicles
- Locking vehicles
- Closing overhead garage doors
- Locking all external doors, especially doors leading from the garage to the house
- Ensuring windows are shut and locked
- Turning on an exterior light so people can’t hide in your bushes
-Louise van Dam