City Services: Remembrance Day 2017
We’re adjusting our hours of operation for Remembrance Day on Saturday, November 11, 2017.
Transit will be providing a Saturday level of service on November 11. For more information on fares, schedules and service changes, please visit calgarytransit.com or follow us on Twitter @calgarytransit.
All veterans wearing uniforms or bearing veteran identification cards and accompanying family members will be able to ride transit for free on Remembrance Day.
There will be a number of road closures and detours to accomodate Remembance Day ceremonies near Central Memorial Park and Memorial Drive. For a full list of affected roads, please visit the special event road closures page on calgary.ca.
On-street parking is free on November 11 and holiday rates will be charged in parkades and select surface lots.
CPA offers free parking for all vehicles displaying a valid Alberta registered veterans’ license plate on Remembrance Day (with the exception of the Calgary Zoo, Telus Spark and Heritage Park). CPA also has a Veterans’ Parking Program. Visit the website or call 403-537-7000 for more information.
Remembrance Day Ceremonies
To honour the memory of those who have served and show appreciation for those who continue to serve our country, flags at all Government of Canada, Government of Alberta and The City of Calgary facilities will be lowered to half-mast from sunrise to sundown on Remembrance Day. Below is a list of some of the Rememberance Day ceremonies in Calgary.
- Remembrance Day at Central Memorial Park – 1221 2 St. S.W.Ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m. and includes a parade with the Calgary Highlanders.
- Battalion Park – 3001 Signal Hill Dr. SW
Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Hosted by the Kings Own Calgary Regiment.
- Calgary International Airport (YYC) – 2000 Airport Rd. N.E.
Airport Pipe Band and Honour Guard will form up at 10:30 a.m. in the Concourse A – Departures Level.
- Canadian Pacific Ogden Memorial – 7550 Ogden Dale Road S.E.
Service is at CP’s Memorial Square, which was built in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War. The service begins at 10:40 a.m. in the top parking lot by the 69 Ave. S.E. and Ogden Dale Rd. S.E. entrance.
- Field of Crosses – Memorial Drive, between 3 Street and Centre Street
- Remembrance Day ceremony at the flagpole, service begins at 10:30 a.m. Members of the public are welcome to attend any of the ceremonies or to visit the site at any time to walk among the crosses. Public parking is available at the west end of the park.
- Fort Calgary – 750 9 Ave. S.E.
This service is facilitated by the RCMP Veterans’ Association of Calgary. This moving commemorative ceremony features bagpipes, bugling, readings and choral singers. Ceremony is at 10:30 a.m. followed by an artisan’s fair.
- Jubilee Auditorium – 415 14 Ave. N.W.
Tickets are free and issued at the door on a first-come, first-served basis. Veterans and seniors will be given priority. Weather permitting there will be a march past outside on the west side of the building immediately after the conclusion of the auditorium ceremonies. Doors open at 9:30 a.m. Ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m.
- Kerby Centre – 1133 7 Ave. S.W.
Doors open at 10:15 a.m. and ceremony and wreath laying at 10:50 a.m.
- Military Museums – 4520 Crowchild Tr. S.W.
Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Admission is free and those attending are asked to bring a non-perishable food donation for the Veterans’ Food Bank. The Museum will be open after the service.
- Poppy Plaza – Memorial Drive at 10 St. N.W.
This park commemorates those who have served to protect our freedom and security and is open from 5 a.m.–11 p.m. daily.
- Burnsland Cemetery Walking Tour – 27 Ave. and Spiller Rd. S.E.
Join us this Remembrance Day as we explore the history and stories behind some of the non-Canadian units whose members are buried in the Burnsland Field of Honour. Meet at Galloway House inside the Union Cemetery gate at Spiller Rd. & Cemetery Rd. S.E. from 2 – 3:30 p.m
- Burnsland Cemetery Ceremony – 27 Ave. and Spiller Rd. S.E.
Join the 33 Engineer Squadron (41 Combat Engineer Regiment) for a ceremony at the Burnsland Cemetery.
- Union Cemetery – 27 Ave. and Spiller Rd. S.E.
Ceremony presented by 214 (Hawkwood/Citadel) Boy Scouts Troop and the Common Wealth War Graves Commission.
- The Hangar Flight Museum – 4629 McCall Way N.E.Please plan to arrive no later than 10:15am, but arriving early to find parking is recommended. The museum will be open with admission by donation for the remainder of the day.
For more information on all the Remembrance Day events in Calgary, please visit www.todocanada.ca.
The following facilities will be closed on Saturday November 11, 2017:
- All pools (except Village Square and Southland Leisure Centres)
- All Arenas (except Ernie Starr Arena; Murray Copot Arena; Rose Kohn/ Jimmie Condon Arenas; and Shouldice Arena – Please note that Optimist/Blundun Arenas are only open for advanced bookings)
- North Mount Pleasant and Wildflower Arts Centres
- All Athletic Parks (closed for the season except for advanced bookings on Shouldice artificial fields)
- Calgary Soccer Centre (except for advanced bookings)
- All Golf Courses are closed for the season